I am Gayathri from Hyderabad. I am Microsoft Techy professional having worked with 2 big MNCS since 5 years.
Since Apr 2008 i am on break inorder to take care of my baby. Now i have started searching for development job again. But the sad thing is i am getting rejected everywhere due to the career break.
I have good appreciations in my previous placement. Though i am on break i keep myself updating with 3.5 framework and working out at home with samples.
Please advice me on how to approach companies henceforth.
Thanks in Advance
rajesh's Advice on Saturday, October 17, 2009 :
Coming back after a break always is a bit difficult, but there is no need to be disappointed. The good thing is you are keeping yourself updated with the latest technologies. Its just a matter of time when you land up that dream job. But even though you may be keeping updated with latest technology but what is your differentiating factors when compared to others. (NOTE: The second point below may be your differentiating factor if you can spend some time with it)
You can do the following to make the process a bit easier
- Continue updating yourself with the latest technology
- Learn something new like Sharepoint, Biztalk etc (as they are catching up again) and will give you a competitive edge over others.
- Mould your break into somekind of freelancing work. What I mean by this is keep yourself a target say for e.g. 2-3 months and so some freelancing kind of work on the latest technologies so that you can showcase your experience.
- An other alternative would be to apply your learnings to contribute to some open-source project (like codeplex).
- Keep applying for job and don't get disappointed.
All the very best to you.
kapil's Advice on Sunday, October 18, 2009 :
This question has been answered before too. Look at the question from "Arpita" with same topic. Hopefully, the same advice may apply to you to.
In case you have any other doubt pl. do raise it....