Hi, I am 5 years experienced in ASP.NET and C # ( web applications ). I want to know the future career prospects in .net for me, as opportunities in ASP.NET and C# are shrinking with a sea of developers for a single opportunity. I want to stick to .NET and need an advice on what Microsoft technologies i need to learn to standout in the crowd ( MVC, WCF, WPF, WWF, Sharepoint, jquery, Silverlight etc). I love coding and want to stick to it, hate managerial roles and activities. Want to be a technical architect. Keeping my experience, area of interest in mind and relevant latest technologies in demand, kindly advice what technologies should i learn. Also suggest some good source for learning the same. Please help, I am in a middle of mid career crisis. Awaiting your suggestions.
Rajesh's Advice on Wednesday, July 03, 2013 :
Master the below item (or spend some time concisously to read, understand and apply them)
1. Single Page Applicatons (jquery, knockout, backbone)
2. Web API
3. HTML5, CSS3 (you will always need this)
4. Log management, exception management, tracking, analyis
5. Application design, understand various patterns, mvc, mvp, mvvm, etc...
6. Design patterns (smart use as and when required)
8. Authentication, authorization, single signon, security, XSS, CSRF etc.
9. Database tuning (to some extent)
For architectural related details refer.
Get involved in some open source project, start your own blog (the best way to stand out from the crowd).
All the best.