Hi All Experts,
I want to know "what is a good programmer?".
Thanks in Advance
Rajesh's Advice on Thursday, November 07, 2013 :
Good you are curious. This is a very broad question, but I will try to answer or put down my thoughts on what constitutes a good programmer.
A good programmer is a person who
1. Writes code for human to understand rather than machine (i.e. stresses on code readability)
2. Unit tests code
3. Use coding conventions as per accepted standards (or as per the company policies)
4. Understands the value of code re-usability.
5. Avoid writing ambiguous code.
6. Has good knowledge of object oriented principles (if that applies as most languages are object oriented or object based)
7. Supports and help the peers
8. Shares with the community and peers
9. Writes maintainable code
10. Keep a check on ego
11. Knows how to estimate the task (not 100% accurate, but should make good judgement)
12. Understands the importance of logging and instrumentation.
13. Understands how to measure code performance
14. Effectively communicates
The above are some of the traits that distinguishes a good programmer from the average.
All the best..