In this article we will be seeing how to show external data in Microsoft Word 2010 using SharePoint.
In the previous article, we learnt Customize SharePoint List Forms using InfoPath 2010. In this article we will be seeing how to show external data in Microsoft Word 2010.
Content controls in Microsoft Word provide a
User Interface that is used for user input and print. For more information on Content Controls in Microsoft Word 2010 please refer
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb157891.aspx.These These Content Controls can be used in the
2010 to expose the external data in the document. Here we will be seeing how to expose the external data in the word document.
I have a document library called Shared Documents in my SharePoint site.I have added an
External Data column named Employee Name which includes some additional fields
Designation, Location, EmpId and
Department. I am going to add these external data column in the word document so that the values will be automatically populated based on the external data columns in the word document.
1. Open the SharePoint Site (http://servername10:10736/sites/ect).
2. Click on
Shared Documents in the
Quick Launch bar
Shared Documents has the following columns
4. In the ribbon interface go to
Library Tools, click on
5. Click on
button in the
6. A new word document will be opened.
7. I have created a sample table which contains the information as shown in figure
8. Go to
Insert tab, Click on
9. Click on
Property, you could be able to see all the columns as shown in figure.
10. Drag and drop the columns in the table as shown in figure
11. Save the document.
2. A new document will be added to the document library.
13. Select the document, click on
Edit Properties in the
14. Add the value to the external data column “
15. Click on
16. Select the document, click on
Edit in Microsoft Word in the
17. Values for the external data columns will be automatically updated in the word document as shown in figure.
Thus in this article we have seen how to show external data in Microsoft Word 2010.
Thanks for reading.
Hope this article was useful, keep reading my forthcoming article of this series.