This article will discuss about Polymorphism in object oriented programming.
This article will discuss about Polymorphism in object oriented programming. Watch our 500 videos on Azure, WCF, WPF, LINQ, Design Patterns, WWF, Silverlight, UML @ http://www.questpond.com/
What is Polymorphism?
- Polymorphism is one of the primary characteristics (concept) of object-oriented programming.
- Poly means many and morph means form. Thus, polymorphism refers to being able to use many forms of a type without regard to the details.
- Polymorphism is the characteristic of being able to assign a different meaning specifically, to allow an entity such as a variable, a function, or an object to have more than one form.
- Polymorphism is the ability to process objects differently depending on their data types.
- Polymorphism is the ability to redefine methods for derived classes.
Types of Polymorphism
- Compile time Polymorphism
- Run time Polymorphism
Compile time Polymorphism
- Compile time Polymorphism also known as method overloading
- Method overloading means having two or more methods with the same name but with different signatures
Example of Compile time polymorphism
Run time Polymorphism
- Run time Polymorphism also known as method overriding
- Method overriding means having two or more methods with the same name , same signature but with different implementation
Example of Run time Polymorphism
You can find source code at the top of this article.