is .net is platform independent? yes or no?

Posted by Saritha.Rajeshkumar under C# on 6/6/2012 | Points: 10 | Views : 16197 | Status : [Member] | Replies : 24
hi,
i want to know is .net is platform independent? yes or no? if yes why? if no why?

Responses

Posted by: Vuyiswamb on: 6/6/2012 [Member] [MVP] [Administrator] NotApplicable | Points: 25

Up
Down
.NET is platform Depended because you need .NET framework to run the app as with java you need JVM to run java apps

Thank you for posting at Dotnetfunda
[Administrator]

Saritha.Rajeshkumar, if this helps please login to Mark As Answer. | Alert Moderator

Posted by: Akiii on: 6/6/2012 [Member] Bronze | Points: 25

Up
Down
Yes, Vuyiswa is right. Dotnet is platform independent provided you have dotnet framework to run the code. Just like in java you need jvm to run java bytecode !
You can also check out the mono project !

Thanks and Regards
Akiii

Saritha.Rajeshkumar, if this helps please login to Mark As Answer. | Alert Moderator

Posted by: Siva524 on: 6/7/2012 [Member] Starter | Points: 25

Up
Down
Dotnet is not a pure platform independent.because it does not run on old os like dos ,so we can say it is not a pure platform independent.but now a days no one using dos so we can prefer it as a platform independent.

Posted by: Jobin on: 6/7/2012 [Member] Starter | Points: 25

Up
Down
.NET is a collection of technologies. Some of these technologies are platform independent, some are not. Some of these technologies are standards, some are not.

Posted by: Ajay.Kalol on: 6/8/2012 [Member] Starter | Points: 25

Up
Down
.net is Not Platform Independent,
.Net Framework must required to Run any .Net Application

Ajay
ajaypatelfromsanthal.blogspot.in

Posted by: Vuyiswamb on: 6/8/2012 [Member] [MVP] [Administrator] NotApplicable | Points: 25

Up
Down

Good Day guys

@Jobin

@Akiii

@Siva524

@Ajay.Kalol

.NET is Platform Depended and its not platform Independent.

When we say something is platform independent we mean something that does not need anything for it to work. .NET apps needs a Framework before they can run.

[Administrator]

Posted by: Akiii on: 6/8/2012 [Member] Bronze | Points: 25

Up
Down
But Sir, java also need JVM. can we say java is also platform dependent ?

Thanks and Regards
Akiii

Posted by: Vuyiswamb on: 6/8/2012 [Member] [MVP] [Administrator] NotApplicable | Points: 25

Up
Down
You are right , i remember when i was taught Java Years ago, they kept and saying that it is Platform independent. i always disagreed and even today i say Java is platform depended because it needs JVM to run without it it cant run

[Administrator]

Posted by: Akiii on: 6/8/2012 [Member] Bronze | Points: 25

Up
Down
Yes Sir.......

Regards
Akiii

Posted by: CGN007 on: 6/11/2012 [Member] Silver | Points: 25

Up
Down
Can we say like this,
.Net is not platform independent , it's only language independent

Posted by: Akiii on: 6/11/2012 [Member] Bronze | Points: 25

Up
Down
@CGN007.......yes dotnet is language independent thats why we have msil code.

Thanks and Regards
Akiii

Up
Down
@Akii please see the above discussions by Vuyiswamb

.NET is platform Depended because you need .NET framework to run the app as with java you need JVM to run java apps

Posted by: Akiii on: 6/11/2012 [Member] Bronze | Points: 25

Up
Down
sorry i misspelled it !

Thanks and Regards
Akiii

Posted by: Siva524 on: 6/11/2012 [Member] Starter | Points: 25

Up
Down
we develop an application on one platform (say eg.windows os)and it can run on any platform without any change in the code(like unix,etc.,)is called platform independent.so if we develop an application in windows platform with help of one type of clr and we can run on unix with another type of clr.

Posted by: Jobin on: 6/14/2012 [Member] Starter | Points: 25

Up
Down
Thanks for encouraging me Mr.Vuyiswamb.

Posted by: Shanky11 on: 1/31/2013 [Member] Starter | Points: 25

Up
Down
is .net a platform independent or dependent?????????????
i .net app run on linux operating system?????

Posted by: Vuyiswamb on: 1/31/2013 [Member] [MVP] [Administrator] NotApplicable | Points: 25

Up
Down
1) .NET is Platform Depended and its not platform Independent.
When we say something is platform independent we mean something that does not need anything for it to work. .NET apps needs a Framework before they can run.

2)No , but they can if you use some porrting tool

[Administrator]

Posted by: Oswaldlily on: 2/4/2013 [Member] Starter | Points: 25

Up
Down
@all : sounds good..........
Can u mention any examples for platform independent?

Posted by: Kusumas on: 2/6/2013 [Member] Starter | Points: 25

Up
Down
Hi All,

Platform independence means that any program should be able to run on any machine where the framework is implemented. This is arguably the case for the Java platform. It was the subject of the original Sun-Microsoft lawsuit: The Microsoft implementation of Java, where Microsoft introduced a number of features which, although useful on Windows, could not be implemented on other systems. (they were Windows specific). It would have been all-right if MS had introduced these as external libraries, but MS put them in their core distribution, with the net result that programs developed for the Microsoft Java platform might not be able to run on other systems. This little incident pushed Microsoft over the edge, and although they had intended to standardise on Java, they developed the .Net framework.
The .Net framework is not platform independent, insofar that a large number of functions in the libraries can only be implemented on Windows. There is a platform independent specification of .Net[^] for which Microsoft helpfully publishes freely available source code (affectionately known as the ROTOR distribution). Miguel de Icaza[^] used this as base for the MONO distribution (Opinions differ, he says he started with a clean-room approach, but it is highly likely that most of the people in the project had a peek at the ROTOR sources).
To cut a long story short, Java is platform independent, .Net is not, the parts of .Net that microsoft puts in the standard are platform independent, and Mono extends this platform independence, bot not to the whole framework.

Posted by: Vuyiswamb on: 2/6/2013 [Member] [MVP] [Administrator] NotApplicable | Points: 25

Up
Down
Good Day Kusumas

I would like to disagree with your point. The English word for independence means that something can do or exist without or Complete an objective without any assistance from anything. Now when we started programming in Java when it was JDK 1.2 we were told that Java is platform independent and later we were also told that for java to run it needs JVM(Java virtual machine), so that meant that Java applications cannot run without JVM. So Java applications could not run independantly , which concludes for you now that Java is not platform independent same as .NET because it needs the .NET Framework to run.

So i finally conclude that Java or .NET applications are not platform indipendent

[Administrator]

Posted by: Kusumas on: 2/6/2013 [Member] Starter | Points: 25

Up
Down
Hi Vuyiswamb,

I would like to thakyou for your replay,

i need to more research on this topic and try to get the very flexible answer.

Posted by: Vuyiswamb on: 2/6/2013 [Member] [MVP] [Administrator] NotApplicable | Points: 25

Up
Down

[Administrator]

Login to post response