How to Organize Data from a file with given C# classes

Posted by Zhang Jingchu under C# on 8/13/2012 | Points: 10 | Views : 1363 | Status : [Member] | Replies : 1
There are some cool classes and tricks and short cuts in C#. I know this but I have not worked with C# enough to have them memoried.

One cool trick is this. If you read from a file data that is arranged in a similar line-by-line structure where each line is arranged in columns spaced out by tabs, the data can be read into a kind of class in C# and then you can parse out one column of data by simply doing a "for each" command. Does anyone know off-hand how this is done?

Basically, what I am talking about is this. I understand how to read a file line by line:

int counter = 0;
string line;
System.IO.StreamReader file =
new System.IO.StreamReader(filename);

while ((line = file.ReadLine()) != null)

Now, how would I go about replacing Console.WriteLine(line); with code that will organize the data automatically into
members of a class provided that the line columns in the input file are seperated by /t (tabs)?

Posted by: Kianurieves on: 8/14/2012 [Member] Starter | Points: 25

To organize data from file use the String.Split() method, where the delimiter (tab or comma) is an argument. This method returns a String array of your columns. Once you've chopped your line into columns, you can for each over them.

Zhang Jingchu, if this helps please login to Mark As Answer. | Alert Moderator

Login to post response