Hi, we call it as URL-Routing in asp.net.
To be in brief..
1. first we have to register our routes in Global.asax file. Before, starting of our application this file is executed and all the routes get registered.
2. Then in the RegisterRoutes Method (Using System.Web.Routing namespace), routes.MapPageRoute accepts 3 parameter (RouteName, VirtualPath, Physical Path) which helps us to map the "VIRTUAL PATH" with "PHYSICAL PATH."
3. We can also create a route collection under one route name.
4. Only a virtual path is visible to the user as if a Folder is there and sub folder, where as they are not in actual.
5. It makes user friendly as well as SEO friendly
6. To get the values from URl-Re-written query string. RouteData.Values[""] is used instead of Request.QueryString().
To see an exmaple, refer the article.. here is a clear explanation with example.
To know more on theory part,
refer this: http://www.dotnetfunda.com/articles/article870-a-walkthrough-to-aspnet-40-url-routing.aspx
In case any doubt, let me know.
Regards,Abhi24h, if this helps please login to Mark As Answer. | Alert Moderator