organisation of articles section

Posted by Rtpharry under DotNetFunda.Com on 1/26/2010 | Views : 926 | Status : [Member] [MVP] | Replies : 2
I know that dotnetfunda.com is wanting to push the articles section so I was taking a look at it and I think that the organisation needs revisiting.

The asp.net category has over 200 articles in it whereas all the other categories have only a few.

I think this tells us that the asp.net category is too broad and should be broken down into more categories.

I think this creates a new problem though - if you want to browse a collection of this size and you want a specific topic then it becomes a guessing game trying to find that hidden sub category.

Personally I have feel that the best way to organise this kind of content is to do it with a tag based method. So instead of a hierarchy you would have a list of tags which you can apply.

This also creates a further problem - that users will end up creating many synonyms of tags such as "validator", "validation", "validators", "custom validation" and things like that.

It would require some work from one of the moderators to keep the tags clean.

An autocomplete UI can help with this problem so that uses are presented with the correct tag when they type "valid".

So anyway that's just some thoughts I had on organising the growing articles section - what does everyone think?

Responses

Posted by: Webmaster on: 1/27/2010 [Administrator] HonoraryPlatinum

Up
Down
Dear RtpHarry,

Thank you for sharing your thought.

We somewhat agree with you, however we have seen people creating tons of tags and eventually it becomes unmanageable. I agree that giving autocomplete UI may solve the problem a bit but not resolve the problem completely.

I guess for now and in recent future the Search page ( http://www.dotnetfunda.com/search/ ) powered by Google will solve this problem of finding the right article. Apart from this search we have our own search also ( http://www.dotnetfunda.com/search/Search.aspx ) that may help getting the right article to the visitors.

We have plan to enhance the Google search for DotNetFunda.Com further so that it will target only a particular section instead of the whole website (like Google search for article will only search article section) and so on.

Of course this might not completely resolve the problem but as and when we are growing we can get some more ideas and newer technology to tackle this problem.

Best regards,
Webmaster

Best regards,
Webmaster
http://www.dotnetfunda.com

Rtpharry, if this helps please login to Mark As Answer. | Alert Moderator

Posted by: RtpHarry on: 1/28/2010 [Member] [MVP] Bronze

Up
Down
Yeah I know what you mean. This was one of my concerns about ending up with too many tags when I was initially writing about it.

I'm just trying to think of ways to organise the massive amount of data but I think you are right - if somebody is looking for something specific then they will either use the site search or land here from a Google query.

I am probably imagining a problem where there isn't one! :)

Rtpharry, if this helps please login to Mark As Answer. | Alert Moderator

Login to post response