what will be best approach for development of given scenario

Posted by Rbsaroj under Others on 1/28/2010 | Views : 973 | Status : [Member] | Replies : 6
I want to develop a product in microsoft technology.
this product is for the Retailer managing there whole operation with Software.

Now i have challenges like i cannot develop complete product solution at one go.
so i want to take approach to develop it peice by peice.

so while doing it my direct is small retailer having one store with small setup.
they need standalone pc software. which i will develop it in winform, on .net 3.5
but going forward i want to target the big retailer. were they need this software on lan/Internet
so my software developed on ASP.NET/silver light.

since i have allready put lot of effort in developing this winform application. i want to use maximum of it to convert it in
internet based application.

so keeping all these in mind what will be good approach to or frame i should use while developing winform
so that maximum of it is used in my internet application.

any suggestion or guidance on approach or framework will be highly appreciated.

Regards
Ram

Responses

Posted by: Raja on: 1/28/2010 [Member] Starter

Up
Down
If you would have followed the layered architecture (3 tier or 4 tier), there won't be any problem. You need to simply write the asp.net page yourself when you want to shift from winform to webform. In the webform you will use the same business layer and data access layer that you had used for winform.

However if its not layered architecture, its basic where all code has been written in code behind file then it will be a mess for you.

Search for 3-tier architecture in this website and you will get article on how to create layered/tiered architecture.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Regards,
Raja, USA

Rbsaroj, if this helps please login to Mark As Answer. | Alert Moderator

Posted by: Rbsaroj on: 1/28/2010 [Member] Starter

Up
Down
thanks for reply.

Yes i am taking the layer approach for it. for example.

I am using Database layer and business logic layer. for communication between winform and and these layers
we are using the WCF service with tcp protocol . so that in future when i have to migrate to webform only GUI need to be developed.

do you think this is best approach or i should do something else.

Posted by: Raja on: 1/28/2010 [Member] Starter

Up
Down
Cool, I guess you have everything you need to fireoff for web app when you want.

Good luck.

Thanks

Regards,
Raja, USA

Posted by: RtpHarry on: 1/28/2010 [Member] [MVP] Bronze

Up
Down
Yeah well done for doing it that way it means you have a good architecture to work with.

If you really need to develop a desktop and an internet app side by side then I would start investigating Silverlight heavily. In the next version (Silverlight 4) it will be possible to run these apps out of browser which means you can run it as a desktop app with full privileges.

In a few more versions the web and the desktop will be completely merged in my opinion.

Also there is a lot of similarity between silverlight ui and WPF ui if you want to get started with merging right away you will get a lot of code reuse between these two technologies.

One thing to consider though is that if you make these apps they will have higher system requirements than plain asp.net apps and winforms apps. I dont know what the minimum spec you are targeting is?

It seems that you probably already have a good idea of what the available technology stack is in .net but if you want an easy to digest overview of this then check out this document from the Microsoft Patterns and Practices Group:

http://www.codeplex.com/AppArchGuide

Posted by: Rbsaroj on: 1/29/2010 [Member] Starter

Up
Down
thanks . your very true that silver light and wpf is ideal option. but my concern is that this product should run with minimum spec. And most important is that i don't have experties in silverlight/wpf so i have put lot of effort in learning this technology. that will delay my intial release .

Posted by: RtpHarry on: 1/29/2010 [Member] [MVP] Bronze

Up
Down
No I don't have any experience in those technologies either.

If you dont want to learn these technologies at the moment (which makes sense if you want to release fast and support min spec computers) you will just have to move forward with a winforms / asp.net solution.

I guess the next question is do you target webforms or mvc? :)

Login to post response