Include folders in .msi package

Posted by ashsep18-21378 under ASP.NET on 3/28/2013 | Points: 10 | Views : 1112 | Status : [Member] | Replies : 4
Hi,

I work on a project which uses .NET framework 1.1. While performing deployment activity, we always build the setup in release mode, take the .msi package and install. Recent modifications in code involved adding few folders to the solution. While taking build of the solution, have included the folders. But after taking the setup and installing the same, the newly added folders are missing. Please let me know how to include these folders in the setup so that the same has to be reflected after installing the solution.

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ashwini

Responses

Posted by: Jitendrasoft09 on: 3/28/2013 [Member] [MVP] Starter | Points: 25

Up
Down
matter is how you have added the new folder in solution file, better is to first open the solution file using visual studio and right click on that and add the new folder and keep class inside the folder and rebuild the application and finally you deploy the application.

If not works then find out your new folder name in solution file if not there include on that name of the folder, then you can rebuild the applications.

Jitendra Kumar
If my post helps you, plz mark as an answer.

ashsep18-21378, if this helps please login to Mark As Answer. | Alert Moderator

Posted by: ashsep18-21378 on: 3/29/2013 [Member] Starter | Points: 25

Up
Down
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
Actually ours is a old developed project and this issue is coming during integration of newly developed modules with the old one. When we take build, we actually copy and paste the newly added files or folder in the respective path, then right click and add the same in the solution(include in project). In the current scenario. the folder that is added has sub-folders too and it is existing in the solution. But when i take the setup of the solution to install in a different server, the setup does not contain the newly added folders. Both build and re-build of the solution is done. Any alternate approach if suggested would be helpful.

Ashwini

Posted by: Jitendrasoft09 on: 3/29/2013 [Member] [MVP] Starter | Points: 25

Up
Down
Hello,
Better to create a new solution and merge all the project and folder and sub folder and rebuild the solution after that you deployee on the server.
Before deploying your application, plz check on the solution file or csproj file, new folder is added or not.

Jitendra Kumar
If my post helps you, plz mark as an answer.

Posted by: ashsep18-21378 on: 4/1/2013 [Member] Starter | Points: 25

Up
Down
Hi

Since it is a large application, it is difficult to create a new solution and merge the files. Actually when a new file is added, there is an option to select the build action type. If the build action type is made content, then the files will be added in .msi package. But the same is not possible with folders. Hence want a solution if any such properties have to be modified to include them in the package.

Ashwini

Login to post response