IIS and WAS provide automatic activation. As soon as a message arrives, the service is activated. If you self-host a service, you must create an instance of the ServiceHost class and configure it in code.
By using the following WCF hosting methods we can achieve automatic activation..
1) Host in application domain or process provided by IIS Server.
2) Host in the Application domain and process provided by WAS (Windows Activation Service) Server.
Activation and Hosting
- Services can be hosted or executed, so that it will be available to everyone accessing from the client. WCF service can be hosted by following mechanism
IIS Internet information Service provides number of advantages if a Service uses Http as protocol. It does not require Host code to activate the service, it automatically activates service code.
- Windows Activation Service (WAS) is the new process activation mechanism that ships with IIS 7.0. In addition to HTTP based communication, WCF can also use WAS to provide message-based activation over other protocols, such as TCP and named pipes.
- Self-Hosting WCF service can be self hosted as console application, Win Forms or WPF application with graphical UI.
- Windows Service WCF can also be hosted as a Windows Service, so that it is under control of the Service Control Manager (SCM).
These links for hosting methodologies:
http://aspnetbysudheer.blogspot.in/2013/07/wcf-unleash-1.html Programmer123, if this helps please login to Mark As Answer. | Alert Moderator