how to get a previous page variable value in the current page

Posted by Er.deepakdalal under Regular Expressions on 4/29/2010 | Views : 7860 | Status : [Member] | Replies : 4
Hi Friends

Can anybody tell me how i can get a variable value from the previous page and i am using the master page for my whole application so i can't use the post method

Responses

Posted by: Vuyiswamb on: 4/29/2010 [Member] [MVP] [Administrator] NotApplicable

Up
Down
if you want to access the variable any in your application i suggest you use a Session. Do you know how to use a Session ?

Thank you for posting at Dotnetfunda
[Administrator]

Er.deepakdalal, if this helps please login to Mark As Answer. | Alert Moderator

Posted by: Syedshakeer on: 4/29/2010 [Member] Starter

Up
Down
Session,cookies,viewstate,queryString,previousPage,Server.Transfer,Response.Redirect are the ways to pass value from one page to another page.For more details check the following link.www.msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6c3yckw.aspx

Syed Shakeer Hussain

Posted by: Pavanandey on: 4/30/2010 [Member] Bronze

Up
Down
Hi,

By using the concept of state management u can get the previous page values else u can use the method PreviousPage.FindControl("")
to get the previous page values

Thanks
Pavan Kumar
Mark Answer if this fits the need

Posted by: Naveenmanam on: 4/30/2010 [Member] Starter

Up
Down

This mechanism may work well in some contexts; however, data stored on the client is vulnerable to tampering by the user or by software that has access to the client computer. To use client-side sessions where confidentiality and integrity are required, the following must be guaranteed:

1. Confidentiality: Nothing apart from the server should be able to interpret session data.
2. Data integrity: Nothing apart from the server should manipulate session data (accidentally or maliciously).
3. Authenticity: Nothing apart from the server should be able to initiate valid sessions.

To accomplish this, the server needs to encrypt the session data before sending it to the client, and modification of such information by any other party should be prevented via cryptographic means.

Transmitting state back and forth with every request is only practical when the size of the cookie is small. In essence, client-side sessions trade server disk space for the extra bandwidth that each web request will require. Moreover, web browsers limit the number and size of cookies that may be stored by a web site. To improve efficiency and allow for more session data, the server may compress the data before creating the cookie, decompressing it later when the cookie is returned by the client.

NaveenKumar

Login to post response