whether protocol is a software or a hardware??

Posted by Mohit007kumar00 under Others on 7/9/2010 | Views : 6791 | Status : [Member] | Replies : 3
Actually when you ask any computer science student ,what is meant by a protocol they will immediately answer that it is a set of rules that computers(hosts or nodes) will follow in order to establish a communication between them .But when you asked where it lies and whether it is a software or a hardware they get confused.The same thing happened to me.
ok I will straightaway go into my topic ,
My sir asked this above question "where will be protocol loacted and whether it is a software or a hardware?"
I told that protocol will be located as a hardware in networkinterface card since it manages the data link layer and physical layer and also it will be located as a piece of software as a part of os .
whether My answer is correct? In that case protocol will exist as a software as well as hardware .
But My sir asked tell me only one whether it's a software or a hardware.
also he asked other than tcp/ip can we use any other protocol i told we can use netbios also .please clarify me guys

mohit cboy hack the world

Responses

Posted by: Vuyiswamb on: 7/11/2010 [Member] [MVP] [Administrator] NotApplicable

Up
Down
Good Day Mohit007kumar00

a Hardware can never be a protocol. Now let me make a clear example of what a protocal is.

My Mother tounge is Zulu(South Africa) and yours might be Chineese(China) and in order to understand each other we need one language to will be common to us. So We will use English to communicate and that is a Protocol. there is a software that is embeded with the OS and that can communicate with a NIC. there are many other protocols that are suitable for different needs , You were right about netbios and there are many of them.

Thank you for posting at Dotnetfunda

Vuyiswa Maseko

Thank you for posting at Dotnetfunda
[Administrator]

Mohit007kumar00, if this helps please login to Mark As Answer. | Alert Moderator

Posted by: Muhilan on: 7/11/2010 [Member] Starter

Up
Down
Software...

Mohit007kumar00, if this helps please login to Mark As Answer. | Alert Moderator

Posted by: Neeks on: 7/15/2010 [Member] Bronze

Up
Down
Yes it it a software which resides in Hardware's chip and used to communicate them. So we can say in computer you will find most of the hardware which has software as a protocol. Protocol is not to just communicate two hardwares; it is also set of rules how the hardware will behave in which conditions.

Login to post response