1) Application blocks in .net : You can think as application blocks are the set of classes and methods written by Microsoft Patterns and Practices team . Those are the best way to perform the specific task in .NET. We can also extend these classes. Application blocks makes our development faster and also ensures the best practices.
2) Types : There are following application blocks are available:
Data Access application block
Logging Application Block
Exception Handling application block
Caching application block
User Interface Process application block
Aggregation application block
Configuration Management application block
Asynchronous Invocation application block
3) Why we need it :
1. Best way for performing specific task in .NET
2. Using application block makes the development faster and more modular development
3. Source code for application blocks are available in the form of projects so that we can easily modify them and can use for our learning purpose
4. Maintains consistency in our code
4) Disadvantages :
It is hard to answer....... Not sure really regarding the disadvantages.
Please refer following links for depth in application blocks :
I hope this will clear all your doubts.
Prasham Nav234, if this helps please login to Mark As Answer. | Alert Moderator