How to manage speed issues w.r.t display of data in web pages when we are dealing with a large datab

Posted by Sp under Regular Expressions on 9/16/2010 | Points: 10 | Views : 1165 | Status : [Member] | Replies : 3
How to manage speed issues w.r.t display of data in web pages when we are dealing with a large database

Responses

Posted by: Shravankomirineni on: 9/16/2010 [Member] Starter | Points: 25

Up
Down
We can manage speed issues w.r.t display of data in web pages
1) if you have large number of records in a table then using database paging (not use general pagenation of gridview).
2) use caching

Sp, if this helps please login to Mark As Answer. | Alert Moderator

Posted by: Shankul2784 on: 9/16/2010 [Member] Bronze | Points: 25

Up
Down
Hi,

use the light waight controls like repeater & use html in that so that page will render in less time. Also use the queries like which will return the required data( only one page of grid) which reduces the traffic. Also use less images on the pages to reduce the page load time.

Thanks & Regards,

Shailesh

Posted by: Vuyiswamb on: 9/16/2010 [Member] [MVP] [Administrator] NotApplicable | Points: 25

Up
Down
Bad Desicions when designing an application can lead to a poor perfomance application.

Sp there are many things that can lead to poor perfomance and your question is broad. Mybe what you can do is to show us the Stored Procedure or a code that binds a Control and we might point out what is wrong or what causes bottlenecks.

I dont wan to point or suggest controls because i donot know the nature of your application. For some other developers grid that pages are the first choice , but e.g i dont use paging because of perfomance though it might boost perfomance , but i am using it so that i will not have a grid that will fill my whole page , Do you get my point. Some other things are a problem from their sources ,

Some people make sure that their database is fully normalised before they engage to the application , some fix the bugs along the way. I suggest you first spend time on the datasource and make sure that your SP's are running faster and they execute in a reasonable time depending on the data and make sure that you have indexes on the right fields and make sure your tables are normalised.

If you have done your best on the data source you can concerntrate on the UI and check the best practices on the controls, but be carefull not to spent time on optimisation. If its Fast dont try to fix it because its working

I hope i helped with the few lines of advice i provided

Thank you for posting at Dotnetfunda

Vuyiswa Maseko

Thank you for posting at Dotnetfunda
[Administrator]

Login to post response