How to Import data into my Web Application?

Posted by Laghaterohan under Regular Expressions on 12/7/2010 | Points: 10 | Views : 1882 | Status : [Member] | Replies : 6
Hello,

I have a web application ready with all the test data developed using VS 2008 and SQL Server 2008.
Now, we need to import the LIVE data into our application so that it is ready to use at client site. How this can be done??

Please provide me the steps. I have received the data from client as per the format we required in the Excel sheet.

Also, is there any sp that helps ? where in we can provide the table name and respective column names and the data will be imported in the respectively?

Please help me out. I am doing this kind of stuff for the very first time it will be really nice if i get to know form the bery basics.

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Rohan Laghate

Responses

Posted by: T.saravanan on: 12/8/2010 [Member] [MVP] Silver | Points: 25

Up
Down
Hi Rohan Laghate,

Who will import the data into database,you (or) client ?
Do you write any methods in your application for import a data from Excel ?

Thanks,
T.Saravanan

Laghaterohan, if this helps please login to Mark As Answer. | Alert Moderator

Posted by: Laghaterohan on: 12/8/2010 [Member] Starter | Points: 25

Up
Down
Hello T.Saravanan ,

We need to do the import and not the client.
No, i have not written any methods in the application for import of data from excel into the db sql server 2008.

How to proceed?

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Rohan Laghate

Up
Down
Hi Rohan,

OK.So Client just see the output for the live data.
For your requirement you can create separate application for import a Data into DB.In my Project also same thing...In our office we have one in house project for Data insert and also import a data from Excel,Zip,Text...etc.,we can read the file based on its format and then to store the data into DB.

My Main project call the data from DB and to show into our client side.The client just see the data only not to edit that data then only i said just create one application for insert the data into your live db because in future your application pages may be increased.

Thanks,
T.Saravanan

Up
Down
Hey hi,

Thanks but it will be really time consuming to create a application for this purpose as project is also into strict deadlines.
Do u know any sp that can help me to achieve this task? OR SSIL etc...

I am totally clueless....:(

Thanks neways...!

Best Regards,
Rohan Laghate

Up
Down
Hi,

There is no special SP for insert the data into DB.You only to create a SP for insert a data.But you requirement is different how to find out the table name from your excel file then only i said that answer.
You have no time, so create a method for Excel import.In this method first read the excel file into DataTable and then to find out the table name based on that data (Ex: Check Column Name) after to insert (or) update the data into that table using SP (or) Query.But its not a good way,because you hard code your table name based on the data.
When will Problem Occured.
1. If Column Name is same in different files.
2. If Column Name have any Special Characters (or) Space.

That's my idea.Try this way...its useful to you means i am happy....

Thanks,
T.Saravanan

Up
Down
Hey thanks yaar...

I will update you once i am through this....for a moment i have stalled working on the import of data....

Thanks!
Happy Coding

Best Regards,
Rohan Laghate

Login to post response