Tool for publishing the files on IIS automatically?

Posted by Laghaterohan under Regular Expressions on 3/4/2011 | Points: 10 | Views : 1542 | Status : [Member] | Replies : 20
I want solution to the below problem:

Whenever we want to release the web application for testing what we generally do is publish the files and then copy those files and replace them on IIS.

This process we do everytime when we need to release the application for testing..

SO I want to ask if there is any way wherein we can avoid this? Manually copy and pasting the files on IIS is a hectic and tedious task....So how can i overcome this problem...? Is their any tool which can be helpful?? Please help...its urgent I am confused...:(

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Rohan Laghate

Best Regards,
Rohan Laghate

Responses

Posted by: Karthikanbarasan on: 3/4/2011 [Member] [Moderator] [Microsoft_MVP] [MVP] Silver | Points: 25

Up
Down
Hi,

Your question abt the same problem is getting solved in this forum... so check here itself for the solution

http://www.dotnetfunda.com/forums/thread3846-how-to-automatically-deploy-the-build-application.aspx

Thanks
Karthik
www.f5Debug.net

Laghaterohan, if this helps please login to Mark As Answer. | Alert Moderator

Posted by: Laghaterohan on: 3/5/2011 [Member] Starter | Points: 25

Up
Down
Thanks karthik however, the article speaks about VS 2010..Is there any way in which we can handle it in VS 2008?

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Rohan Laghate

Posted by: Karthikanbarasan on: 3/5/2011 [Member] [Moderator] [Microsoft_MVP] [MVP] Silver | Points: 25

Up
Down
Ok let me know your requirement clearly... You want to do a deploy in VS 2008 version? and u want to do it automatically? or you want to a package kind of stuff?

Thanks
Karthik
www.f5Debug.net

Posted by: Laghaterohan on: 3/5/2011 [Member] Starter | Points: 25

Up
Down
Yes, i want to deploy vs 2008 version..By automatically i mean that as i mentioned earlier, presently we need to manually copy/paste the publish files in the iis folder of that application. So that the updated link is available to the testers..This manual copy paste thing is quite a tedious and hectic...so instead i am asking wether there is any way in that this copy/paste thing is automated each time i publish my files.

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Rohan Laghate

Posted by: Gsolvers on: 3/5/2011 [Member] Starter | Points: 25

Up
Down
Have you tried Cruise Control? This is especifically for Automatic building and deployment.

Best Regards,

VG
www.TeacherJi.com

Posted by: Karthikanbarasan on: 3/5/2011 [Member] [Moderator] [Microsoft_MVP] [MVP] Silver | Points: 25

Up
Down
Yes, for this you need to do some custom code logic. For this let me know the below.

When u right click and give publish, it will go to the same folder every time when you publish?

If yes then we can write code to do the automatic transfer every time to the destination server folder

Thanks
Karthik
www.f5Debug.net

Up
Down
Agreeing to Karthik but i still vote for using Cruise and do some updates around build scripts.

Best Regards,

VG
www.TeacherJi.com

Up
Down
Cruise is a third party licensed software... for this simple task we can write our own code to make it easier and can have full control over our requirement.

Thanks
Karthik
www.f5Debug.net

Up
Down
It's a open source and you can get this for free:)

http://cruisecontrol.sourceforge.net/download.html

Best Regards,

VG
www.TeacherJi.com

Up
Down
oh is it... thts good... let me try it out...

Thanks
Karthik
www.f5Debug.net

Up
Down
Also vikas, put the link under the links tag so that it will be useful for the users to redirect directly...

Thanks
Karthik
www.f5Debug.net

Up
Down
Sounds good! Let me know if you get stuck or need any help. I can send across some samples build scripts and settings (On monday:))

Best Regards,

VG
www.TeacherJi.com

Up
Down
Sure thanks much...

Thanks
Karthik
www.f5Debug.net

Up
Down
http://cruisecontrol.sourceforge.net/download.html

Best Regards,

VG
www.TeacherJi.com

Posted by: Laghaterohan on: 3/6/2011 [Member] Starter | Points: 25

Up
Down
Hi Karthik,
When i right click on solution and then publish my files i create a new folder each time (date wise) and then copy the contents of that folder on my IIS folder...:)

@VG DOES cruise control help me out in this context? Is configuration of this is difficult?

We are using SVN as a code repository....any help on this front will be helpful..Also can i get some tutorial/ ppt on this front?

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Rohan Laghate

Posted by: Karthikanbarasan on: 3/6/2011 [Member] [Moderator] [Microsoft_MVP] [MVP] Silver | Points: 25

Up
Down
Hi,

Yes then the process is pretty simple... You can write your own code for deploying... Write a batch script to copy the folder from your local box to the production box.

Thanks
Karthik
www.f5Debug.net

Posted by: Laghaterohan on: 3/7/2011 [Member] Starter | Points: 25

Up
Down
Hi Karthik,
I have never tried this kind of code before, please help me out....step by step ...:)

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Rohan Laghate

Posted by: Gsolvers on: 3/7/2011 [Member] Starter | Points: 25

Up
Down
If you are asking Help on cruise control, please get the user manual and instruction from website. It is pretty easy to follow. If you are unable to do that install the cruise control and i will help you out in setting up the configuration.

Best Regards,

VG
www.TeacherJi.com

Posted by: Laghaterohan on: 3/7/2011 [Member] Starter | Points: 25

Up
Down
@VG ok...i will try and let u know :) any idea about writing batch scripts ?

Best Regards,
Rohan Laghate

Posted by: Karthikanbarasan on: 3/7/2011 [Member] [Moderator] [Microsoft_MVP] [MVP] Silver | Points: 25

Up
Down
Sure, ill get the step by step process

Thanks
Karthik
www.f5Debug.net

Login to post response