how to bind one lakh records to gridview

Posted by Gsrinivas under ASP.NET on 9/14/2009 | Views : 7533 | Status : [Member] | Replies : 4
hi,
I have a serch page with various search criterias.when user clicks on the search button the search query returns one lakh to two lakh
records. so now how can i bind the records to grid view.

1.it is taking too much time to bind.
2.execution time is expires
3.paging also taking time

so please let me know the better way when i want to bind these may records to gridview.

and please let me know , is this to right to bind that many records to gridview at a time.

Thanks and Regards
Srinivas Reddy

Responses

Posted by: Vuyiswamb on: 9/15/2009 [Member] [MVP] [Administrator] NotApplicable

Up
Down
Good Day Gsrinivas

Post the Code here and we will point the problem and Give you the Solution.

Thank you for posting at Dotnetfunda
[Administrator]

Gsrinivas, if this helps please login to Mark As Answer. | Alert Moderator

Posted by: Rtpharry on: 9/15/2009 [Member] [MVP] Bronze

Up
Down
You have to decide if you need that many records binding at one time.

If there is a genuine use for that amount of information then you have to bind it. Normally there isnt a requirement to have it all, just to have it available if requested.

You need to implement a server side paging technology. There are two kinds of paging and the client side one gets all the records and then just hides some of them. The server side one only requests the amount of data thats needed for a page from the database.

How you implement this depends on what data access technology you are using, so... which data access technology are you using?

Posted by: Mouli on: 9/23/2009 [Member] Starter

Up
Down
May be I would prefer doing custom paging with the Sql Query. I would specify start Index and number of rows retrieve everytime a new page is requested in the client. Custom Paging in Sql Server + AJAX can bring up the performance.

Posted by: Mouli on: 9/23/2009 [Member] Starter

Up
Down
May be I would prefer doing custom paging with the Sql Query. I would specify start Index and number of rows retrieve everytime a new page is requested in the client. Custom Paging in Sql Server + AJAX can bring up the performance.

Login to post response