Problem With ASP.NET Administation tool

Posted by karunakar5788-15015 under ASP.NET on 5/2/2012 | Points: 10 | Views : 797 | Status : [Member] | Replies : 1

I'm completely new to .net and while completing one of the online tutorials on how to create users for my site, I came accross a problem:

I created a new site in VWD Express (http linked to IIS) and there is a folder called App_Data (I assume this is where all the user tables get stored?). I then went to the wesite administration tool to connect to a sql database, followed the commands and tried to test for "AspNetSqlProvider".

The following error message came up:

"Could not establish a connection to the database.
If you have not yet created the SQL Server database, exit the Web Site Administration tool, use the aspnet_regsql command-line utility to create and configure the database, and then return to this tool to set the provider. "

I ran the aspnet_regsql.exe and tried to set up the sql on my local machine (It would not allow me to do this), so I then decided to try and create a database on our bonafide sql server on the network, by running aspnet_regsql.exe again.

This time it all set up correctly and using the SQL server manager I can see my database there (called aspnetdb).

I tried running the provider management test again but the same error message that came up before has come up.

Can anyone give me any pointers on where I might be going wrong (and for reference - should you be abeleto set up databases on yoru local machine without having a database set up??)

Thanks in advance for your help

Posted by: Johnbhatt on: 7/7/2012 [Member] Starter | Points: 25

To Run aspnet_regsql.exe you need to open Command Prompt as Administrator and then follow or Run aspnet_regsql as Administrator. Then Follow the steps.

Once you installed Database or Implemented features to Custom Database, you would be able to do what you are trying to do.

John Bhatt
Glad to Know, Free to Share.....

karunakar5788-15015, if this helps please login to Mark As Answer. | Alert Moderator

Login to post response