.NET Framework 2.0 application that runs under a user account context when no user profile is associated with the user account context

Posted by Virendradugar under C# on 11/12/2009 | Views : 4774 | Status : [Member] [MVP] | Replies : 6
Hi All,

I am working on a windows application and getting an error. The error is not in my code, it's .NET Framework 2.0 related issue. I googled and found a hot fix from microsoft.

It says ".NET Framework 2.0 application that runs under a user account context when no user profile is associated with the user account context may crash, or you may receive an access violation error message. ".

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913384/en-us?spid=8291&sid=144

Can anyone explains me what is the meaning of this related to windows application or windows service?

Thanks,
Virendra Dugar.

Responses

Posted by: Vuyiswamb on: 11/15/2009 [Member] [MVP] [Administrator] NotApplicable

Up
Down
Good Morning Virendra

This a commonly known error. This has been Resolved in .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 . Did you download the hotfix and apply it ? if you did not get it here

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=6005

or uninstall your .net 2.0 framework and install .net 2.0 service pack 1

Thank you for posting at dotnetfunda

Vuyiswa Maseko

Thank you for posting at Dotnetfunda
[Administrator]

Virendradugar, if this helps please login to Mark As Answer. | Alert Moderator

Posted by: Virendradugar on: 11/16/2009 [Member] [MVP] Silver

Up
Down
Thanks for your reply.

I came to know after some googling that it is a problem with .NET Framework 2.0 and I found the hotfix for the same.

But I wanted to know what is the meaning of this error. I am not able to understand the error message "NET Framework 2.0 application that runs under a user account context when no user profile is associated with the user account context may crash, or you may receive an access violation error message.[/i] ".

Thanks,
Virendra Dugar

Posted by: Vuyiswamb on: 11/16/2009 [Member] [MVP] [Administrator] NotApplicable

Up
Down
The user that runs the .net has crashed

[Administrator]

Posted by: Virendradugar on: 11/16/2009 [Member] [MVP] Silver

Up
Down
I understand that.

But what about this "when no user profile is associated with the user account context"

How is it possible that for logged in user, no profile is gets created and what .NET has to do with this profile?

Thanks,
Virendra Dugar

Posted by: Vuyiswamb on: 11/16/2009 [Member] [MVP] [Administrator] NotApplicable

Up
Down
When a user that is Runny .NET has Crashed it will be like it ceases to exists. and if a .net application is trying to run under that circumstance it will get the Permission Errors. because .net is trying to execute a Process with a user that does not Exist. Remember the logged in user in a Machine is not a user that run .net framework.

[Administrator]

Posted by: Virendradugar on: 11/17/2009 [Member] [MVP] Silver

Up
Down
In case of Web application, ASP.NET runs under aspnet user but in windows application, it runs under the logged in machine user's account.

Login to post response