I have around 4 years of experience in ASP.NET,C#,SQL SERVER 2008,Scripting languages. My problem is I have fair knowledge in all technologies. But when going for next level like Lead position,how can I make myself to improve my knowledge to accomodate that position? Kindly help me..
Rajesh's Advice on Thursday, November 07, 2013 :
Approach the following subjects depthwise rather than breadthwise. This will be applicable to irrespective of technology you are working on.
1. Object Oriented principles (SOLID)
3. Refactoring Skills
4. Testing Strategies
5. Database Designing and its implications on applications, ETL, OLAP
6. Asynchronous, threading, concurrency knowledge
7. Localization and Globalization Knowledge
8. UML for effective communication along with mind maps etc.
9. Distributed database, replication, scaling etc.
10. Effective communication, task planning, team coordination.
A good lead should be conversant with above (You needn't be master of all but yes most of the things should be at the back of your mind always as per your area of work).
Spend some time daily around 1 hour without fail and maybe over next 6 months, you can get a good grip on most of the above topics.
But the important thing is don't be a passive learner. Be active. Share with your friends, make small tech groups and share ideas in your company, write a blog, an article etc..
All the best..