Whats the best approah to limit user searches

Posted by Jeena under C# on 6/15/2012 | Points: 10 | Views : 723 | Status : [Member] | Replies : 6
Hi All,

I am developing a website and am having a requirement like
"For guest users only 5 searches available on a day ------"
I have did this functionality by keeping search information in database .I want to know is there any other way i can accomplish this functionality?

Thanks,
Jeena

Responses

Posted by: Ajayk3 on: 6/15/2012 [Member] Starter | Points: 25

Up
Down
R u storing the IP address of the guest?

Jeena, if this helps please login to Mark As Answer. | Alert Moderator

Posted by: Jeena on: 6/15/2012 [Member] Starter | Points: 25

Up
Down

Hi,

Not Ip address, am keeping user-id and ,search,date in table..While each search i will check the count of user searches on the day and if its more than 5 i will show a message to them

Thanks,
Jeena

Posted by: Meet1424 on: 6/15/2012 [Member] Starter | Points: 25

Up
Down
Jeena, you are saying you want limited search for guest user, but you are keeping user-id in table to check. How a guest user can have user id, it can be possible if you store IP address of guest and restrict particular IP address to limited search in same day.

Posted by: Jeena on: 6/16/2012 [Member] Starter | Points: 25

Up
Down
Hi,

Okay,I agree ..How can effectively keep the IP address of users?? in database or any other options??

I have one more Questions to ask

When the user (not guest user) logs out the system i need to display them products based on there last searches..What is the best option to do this functionality..This also we can show by keeping the search in database .But my db size will increase ?..How can i achieve this ?

Thanks,
Jeena

Posted by: Ajayk3 on: 6/16/2012 [Member] Starter | Points: 25

Up
Down
Jeena.

Kindly tell us what is your current approach?

We are confused as one side you say that guest , other side you say user id

So as per my understanding You may have 2 approaches

1) You have free registered yours into your database and when they login into your site, you allowed that user 5 searches (as it is free user)

but if they are registered user then he/she can do any no of searches.

2) Any guest visit your site and do searches. so you allowed only 5 searches unless and until he/she is registered your (free registration).

If you are approaching the second approach, then how do you come to know guest has done 5 searches and you restrict the search means what you are storing into the database?

Kindly clarify these things to get the desired answer.

Posted by: Jeena on: 6/16/2012 [Member] Starter | Points: 25

Up
Down
Hi,
Sorry for the confusions..I meant guest as users who are registered to the system ,but not shared any credit information like that,,I can show and allow them to do a limit search only...The first approach

Am seeking for option which can be done without DB..

Thanks
Jeena

Login to post response