What is TFS? How it is used by Team? Its Features, tips and advantages [Resolved]

Posted by Amatya under .NET Framework on 8/24/2015 | Points: 10 | Views : 1387 | Status : [Member] | Replies : 2
Now I will have to use TFS for my nexr project, so please give a idea of TFS as a dot net developer, also share some tips, tricks and traps regarding TFS

Feel free to share informations 9731764134
mail Id ' adityagupta200@gmail.com
Thanks

Responses

Posted by: Sheonarayan on: 8/25/2015 [Administrator] HonoraryPlatinum | Points: 50

Up
Down

Resolved
TFS stands for Team Foundation Server, it is another kind of source control that is used to control the source code in multi user environment (earlier we used to call it Visual Source Safe).

The basic idea behind this is that if a person is working on a page, he must checkout the page to notify another user that someone is already working on that page. Unless first person has checked in the page, another person will not be able to work on that page (except in multi user scenario).

After every checkout, you must check in the page you are working on to release the page lock.

This is useful in following way
1. Its a central repository of the source code where all your code remains at one pace and accessible from outside
2. Check in - check out scenario to avoid overwrite
3. Team environment where more than one person is working on the project.
4. Code management
5. Automatic build when the code is checked in

etc.

Hope this will give enough idea to start with.

Read more about TFS in these articles http://www.dotnetfunda.com/articles/search.aspx?q=tfs.

Thanks

Regards,
Sheo Narayan
http://www.dotnetfunda.com

Amatya, if this helps please login to Mark As Answer. | Alert Moderator

Posted by: Amatya on: 8/26/2015 [Member] Silver | Points: 25

Up
Down
Thanks i got the basic idea, and the link posted by Vishwas : TFS (team Foundation Server) - one stop solution for CMMI implementation is Just awesome to get into TFS.

Feel free to share informations 9731764134
mail Id ' adityagupta200@gmail.com
Thanks

Amatya, if this helps please login to Mark As Answer. | Alert Moderator

Login to post response