need a help to learn sql server dba [Resolved]

Posted by Sudheep.Grandhe under Sql Server on 1/4/2016 | Points: 10 | Views : 335 | Status : [Member] | Replies : 1
hi team,

i want to learn sql server dba and it should be practically and theoritcally help me.

Posted by: Rajnilari2015 on: 1/4/2016 [Member] [Microsoft_MVP] [MVP] Platinum | Points: 50

SQL DBA task is not limited but spans to

- DB installation
- Adding users in SQL Server
- Detach and attach the database in order to move it from one location to another
- Moving bulks of data from one database to another, or make a copy of the data.
- Index maintenance for performance improvement
- Scheduling jobs
- Preparing a maintenance plan
- Backup and Recovery
- SQL Profiler for performance bottlenecks/other monitoring tasks
- Learning SQL Server Transaction Log will be an indespensible asset in case of system failure
- DB auditing
- Central Management of Servers for distributed systems
- Proper planning for better hardware resources
- DB clustering
- Database Configurations including dbmail configuration
- Knowledge of Powershell will be helpful
- Disaster recovery
- Good amount of knowledge about locking abd blocking
- Log shipping
- How to restore master db in case it crash
- Sufficient amount of knowledge about Temporary db and how to keep an optimal one
- Deployment in the Cloud Environment (Azure platform)
- Extensive amount of knowledge about query optimization (Please read the answers presented here )
- Internals of SQL Server
- Data security
- Excellent trouble shooting skill
- Knowledge of ETL Process (SSIS/SSAS/SSRS)
- Good amount of knowledge about Data Warehousing
- An effective communication skill(written/verbal), presentation skill and initiatives
-Training to the fellow members

And also NOSQL knowledge(theory and Practical) with optimization of the same will be a great asset.

Also it is good to know about other databases like GreenPlume(Parallel DB), Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, EyeDB (OODB) etc. and it's functionality.

And a proper certification

( a.

Books recommended

- DBA Survivor: Become a Rock Star DBA, by Thomas LaRock
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Internals, by Kalen Delaney
- SQL Server Hardware, by Glenn Berry
- Inside the SQL Server Query Optimizer, by Benjamin Nevarez
- Troubleshooting SQL Server—A Guide for the Accidental DBA, by Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

A reference link :

Writing blogs for sharing the knowledge and open to learn new technologies help always.

Having said all the above, nothing can beat hard work/dedication/patience/an eye for detail/inquisitiveness and above all a smile under high work pressure makes a lot of difference - everywhere and anywhere.

To conclude, we must quote Sir Isaac Newton -

" I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me ."

Hope this will be helpful.

Thanks & Regards,
RNA Team

Sudheep.Grandhe, if this helps please login to Mark As Answer. | Alert Moderator

Login to post response