What is meant by 'converting window application to web based application using WCF'(HOW CAN THIS BE [Resolved]

Posted by Sp under Regular Expressions on 11/7/2010 | Points: 10 | Views : 1976 | Status : [Member] | Replies : 5
What is meant by 'converting window application to web based application using WCF'(HOW CAN THIS BE ACHIEVED)

Responses

Posted by: SheoNarayan on: 11/8/2010 [Administrator] HonoraryPlatinum | Points: 50

Up
Down

Resolved
Hi Sp,

As Vuyiswa rightly said WCF has nothing to do with the conversion from Windows to Web. WCF is a service that is better than traditional web services. I think what you or your company who has given the requirement mean that they want to use WCF as the backbone of your web application. So in your case, your WCF Service (also called Service layer) will sit on the top of your business layer and your web application will always interact with Service layer not directly to your business layer.

This is generally implemented these days to achieve SOA, so that a your application can be consumed by virtually any application in the world whether web or windows or any other platform.

So your typical layered architecture will be something like this.

1. Data Access Layer (DAL)
2. Business Access Layer (BAL)
3. Business Object Layer (Optional)
4. Service Layer - this will be talk with your Business Layer (2 point)
5. UI (UI will talk with Service layer only not BAL not DAL).

Hope this will help you.

Thanks

Regards,
Sheo Narayan
http://www.dotnetfunda.com

Sp, if this helps please login to Mark As Answer. | Alert Moderator

Posted by: Vuyiswamb on: 11/7/2010 [Member] [MVP] [Administrator] NotApplicable | Points: 25

Up
Down
You cant Convert a windows app to web using WCF, WCF is a service , it has nothing to do with how you write your app as a windows app or web app. Both win apps and web apps can consume a wcf service, can you please elaborate on your question

Thank you for posting at Dotnetfunda

Vuyiswa Maseko

Thank you for posting at Dotnetfunda
[Administrator]

Posted by: Sp on: 11/7/2010 [Member] Starter | Points: 25

Up
Down
I will explain the scenario. Here in my company they are having a network based windows application which they want to convert to web based solution. WCF is now being looked upon as a possible solution but i am not able to collect related material online. I am looking for a flow which can be used for the conversion.

Posted by: Sp on: 11/8/2010 [Member] Starter | Points: 25

Up
Down
So, we cannot use window application as web application using WCF right sir??

Posted by: SheoNarayan on: 11/8/2010 [Administrator] HonoraryPlatinum | Points: 25

Up
Down
To answer your specific question within the limited boundry No, using WCF you can't use Windows application as Web application, WCF is not made for that. Web application runs in the browser and Windows application has its own UI and it is also called Windows forms application.

Thank you for asking.

Regards,
Sheo Narayan
http://www.dotnetfunda.com

Login to post response