Business Logic Layer importance

Posted by Satyadnet under ASP.NET on 4/17/2009 | Views : 10652 | Status : [Member] | Replies : 6
Hi everybody,
I have been facing this question very frequently, please help me : my question is..

WHAT IS THE BUSINESS LOGIC LAYER AND WHAT IS THE IMPORTANCE OF BLL
Then i replied as bll is used to communicate the ui layer and dal and bll contains methods and properties.
Then interviewer said , What methods and properties which are used in BLL , directly you can use those methods and properties in ui layer instead of BLL. " Then what is the importance of BLL? ". Please help me on this question.

Responses

Posted by: Neeks on: 4/17/2009 [Member] Bronze

Up
Down
3 tire applications are used for the Distributed Processing.
Each layer has to perform its own task.
They can be separated through to their functionality

1) UI or Presentation Layer -- For the Interface to the client. It is used to display the Data the client as a GUI format.
2) BLL or Application Logic -- For validating the data as per the rule for the business. It works as a real world object. All the functionality is defined in this class and used to display the details in the Presentation Layer. It is a bridge between Data Access layer and Presentation Layer. It reduces the validation check to the Database server. So Database does not get overloaded.
3) Data Access Layer -- To perform the task related to the database.
http://www.dotnetspider.com/forum/166716-tire.aspx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_logic

Thanks for the Post,
Waiting for your response.

Satyadnet, if this helps please login to Mark As Answer. | Alert Moderator

Posted by: Satyadnet on: 4/18/2009 [Member] Starter

Up
Down
Hi Thanks Neek for your valuable post,
But when i said like your post interviewer not agreed . Please can you explore your response with sample code . Thanks .

Posted by: Vuyiswamb on: 4/20/2009 [Member] [MVP] [Administrator] NotApplicable

Up
Down
The BLL Is a Business Logic Layer. That is where We manage the Business Rules before they are passed to the Data Layer. We use BLL to make sure what is going to DAL is Clean. e.g

For Registration in a Website there might be a Business Rule that says if you are below 18 of age , you can never register and there Can be a Business Rule that says if your age is less than 18 attachment your Parent e-mail address for aproval, if now this cannot be Trapped in the PL(Presentation Layer), you have to trap it in your BLL. That is why you have BLL

Thank you for using Dotnetfunda

Were are looking Forward for your reply

Thank you for posting at Dotnetfunda
[Administrator]

Posted by: Satyadnet on: 4/20/2009 [Member] Starter

Up
Down
Hi thanks for your reply,
Without using that BLL , can't we do that in UI layer? or in DAL?
Please reply me urgent.

Thanks Vuyiswamb .

Posted by: Neeks on: 4/24/2009 [Member] Bronze

Up
Down
Because we can extend the application easily. And you can separate different machines as per the Layers. Means you can keep different Layers on Different Machines

Posted by: Satyadnet on: 4/24/2009 [Member] Starter

Up
Down
Thanks for your clear information Mr.Neeks.Please keep going on..

Login to post response